POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New video cards may offload POV : Re: New video cards may offload POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:09:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New video cards may offload POV
From: Ken
Date: 25 Jul 1999 13:28:16
Message: <379B48A0.5961D6C2@pacbell.net>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:44:02 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >Quality of the images produced but direct X and openGL
> >are inferior to Pov's raytracing methods anyway and I personaly think it
> >would be a step backward.
>
>   True, Ken. These cards are great for their intended use but we would see
> no advantage. I don't think that incorporating OpenGL into POV-Ray would be
> anything to crow about. We've already fast previews with more control by
> using the quality switches (+q). OpenGL might be better suited to displays
> from modeling programs, although I like Moray just the way it is now.
>
> --
> Alan

I think I summed it up very well in the VFAQ. If you want to play games and
mpeg movies on your system then by all means buy a good harware accelerated
graphics card. If speed is a concern in raytracing then buy a fast processor,
with a mother board the has a fast buss, good amounts of level one and 2 cache
memory for swapping out instructions, and tons of fast system ram. Then sit
back and wait cause raytracing is a slow process no matter what kind of system
you can afford to buy :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net